by Ritmbarah Arora
The main aim behind investing - the big dream - is to have multibaggers in your portfolio, but everyone is not always successful. Some investors however, have had better luck and timing than others, and are closely followed for the large sizes of their portfolios, and their stock picks. The Superstar feature on Trendlyne analyzes the portfolios of Superstar investors who have large portfolio holdings in the stock market. Let’s take a quick look in the September quarter changes of the portfolio of the Superstars so far (see related screener), as filings have started coming in:
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: Rakesh Jhunjhunwala is an Indian investor and trader who manages the asset firm Rare Enterprises. He has been described as India’s Warren Buffett whose stocks are closely watched by the media. Rakesh Jhunjhunwala publicly holds 32 stocks with a net worth of over Rs 19,486.7 crore, as per the latest corporate shareholdings. Rakesh Jhunjhunwala has so far cut his stake in Titan Company, Ion Exchange (India), Firstsource Solutions and Lupin. He has upped his stake in Agro Tech Foods with a holding value of Rs 95.2 crore.
- Ashish Kacholia: Fondly called the ‘Big Whale’ by media, Ashish Kacholia started with Prime Securities and later joined Edelweiss before incorporating his own broking firm, Lucky Securities in 1995. He also co-founded Hungama Digital with Rakesh Jhunjhunwala in 1999 and started to build his own portfolio from 2003. He is widely known for his absence from the media cycles, avoiding journalists. Ashish Kacholia publicly holds 19 stocks with a net worth of over Rs 533.1 crore, as per the latest corporate shareholdings filed. After the last quarter results, he has put in Rs 10 crores with 2.01% holding share in Apollo Pipes which is his new investment. He has also invested Rs 1.4 crores in Beta Drugs amounting to 2.08% of holding shares. He has cut stake in V2 Retail and Hikal Ltd. while exiting Birlasoft, NIIT and GTPL Hathway. He has upped his investments in Majesco and DFM Foods.
- Mohnish Pabrai: Born on June 12, 1964, Mohnish Pabrai is the founder and Managing Director of the Pabrai Investment Funds and founder and CEO of Dhandho Funds. He founded Pabrai Investment Funds in 1999. He publicly holds 6 stocks with a net worth of over Rs 1,587.9 crore, as per the latest corporate shareholdings filed. Mohnish Pabrai has upped his investment in Indian Energy Exchange with a holding value of Rs 102.3 crore. Rest of the portfolio remains unchanged, awaiting more filings.
- Dolly Khanna: Chennai based large investor Dolly Khanna, is known for best lesser-known stock picks that tends to go on to overperform in the stock market. Her portfolio is managed by her husband Rajiv Khanna. Dolly Khanna has been investing in the stock market since 1996. She publicly holds 5 stocks with a net worth of over Rs 159.4 crore, as per the latest corporate shareholdings filed. She has so far, cut her portfolio stake in NOCIL and Rain Industries while exiting Muthoot Capital Services.
- Vijay Kishanlal Kedia: Based out of Mumbai, Vijay Kishanlal Kedia is involved in the stock market since he was 19. Vijay Kedia and his company Kedia Securities are the largest shareholder in several listed companies. He is well known for his value picks and his thought process. He publicly holds 11 stocks with a net worth of over Rs 278 crore, as per the latest corporate shareholdings filed. Vijay Kedia has cut his stake in Everest Industries and Vaibhav Global while exiting Apcotex Industries. He holds 6.23% shares in Repro India, 1.56% in Cheviot Company, 1.24% in Panasonic Energy India Company, 1.08% in Cera Sanitaryware and 1.01% in Kokuyo Camlin.
- Porinju Veliyath: Born on June 6, 1962, Porinju Veliyath manages his own portfolio and the portfolio of investors in his fund management Equity Intelligence India Private Limited. He is also known as small cap czar in the investor community as he focuses more on small-cap stocks. Porinju Veliyath publicly holds 11 stocks with a net worth of over Rs 22.6 crore, as per the latest corporate shareholdings filed. In the latest purchase, he has invested Rs 2.2 crores in Archies Ltd with a holding of 3.55%. He holds 2.36% of Shalimar Paints, 1.91% of Eastern Treads, 1.33% of Kerala Ayurveda and 1.04% of BCL Industries.