- Godrej Properties in partnership with Dasra Launches report ‘Inclusive by Design: Cementing the Future for Informal Workers in India's Construction Sector’
- Improve data collection and integration across workers' migration corridors and value chains to enable greater visibility and security
- Enable financial, social and legal protection by securing requisite identity proof and worker registration
- Create expectation alignment for workers through a channel informed by industry demand
- Ensure gender equity in opportunities, working conditions and wages through inclusive policies and practices
- Empower construction workers' families and communities by access to diverse livelihood opportunities to prevent distress led entry into the sector
- The construction sector is the single largest absorber of informal and migrant workers in India. Due to the low entry barriers, the industry employs a large chunk of India’ssurplus nonagricultural workforce. This is furthered on account of fast-paced urbanization and a high demand for low-skilled workforce.
- Godrej Properties Limited has continued to uphold its commitment towards worker welfare even asthe pandemic paralysed industry operations. Thousands of workers continued to stay on at GPL’s construction sites asthey were provided with meals and sanitized living conditions through the lockdown. The unprecedented situation however brought with it the realization that millions more were impacted and there was a lot more to be done.
Mr. Pirojsha Godrej, Executive Chairman, Godrej Properties Limited, stated: “As we emerge from the pandemic, India’s real estate and construction industries are faced with a choice, to rebuild as before or to reset the foundation to one that befits an industry of the future that places worker wellbeing at the core of sustainable business. In these challenging times, the onus lies with us, to chart the future as one where workers join out of aspiration rather than distress.”