Markets recovered from the day's low but closed lower today. Nifty 50 closed at 12007.70 (-38.1, -0.3%) , BSE Sensex closed at 40894.38 (-161.3, -0.4%) while the broader Nifty 500 closed at 9856.65 (-34.4, -0.4%). Market breadth is moving down. Of the 1652 stocks traded today, 510 were on the uptick, and 1044 were down.
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala backed Barbeque Nation Hospitality (BHNL) has refiled a fresh draft of its red herring prospectus (DRHP) with Sebi for its initial public offer (IPO). The issue size is expected to be around Rs 1,000-1,200 crore.
- Huhtamaki PPL is sharply up today after strong Q3 results, showing 9.8% revenue growth YoY, and 279%+ net profit growth.
- Fresh share pledges created today by promoters of Max Financial Services.
- IRDAI Chairman said today that while the agency will not make it mandatory to do a public listing, it will encourage insurance firms above a certain size to list on stock exchanges.
- Vodafone Idea continues to fall today on concerns on its ability to meet its debt payments.
- New Earnings Call Transcripts available include Balkrishna Industries, Astral Poly, Wonderla and Dr Lal PathLabs.
- Gloom in markets in early trading. Nifty 50 was trading at 11976.55 (-69.3, -0.6%) , BSE Sensex was trading at 40803.87 (-251.8, -0.6%) while the broader Nifty 500 was trading at 9830.90 (-60.1, -0.6%). Market breadth is sharply down. Of the 1410 stocks traded today, 341 were on the uptick, and 980 were down.
Largecap and midcap gainers today include Abbott India Ltd. (15632.00, 6.70%), Edelweiss Financial Services Ltd. (89.60, 5.23%) and Whirlpool of India Ltd. (2295.00, 4.24%).
Largecap and midcap losers today include Bharti Infratel Ltd. (208.40, -11.32%), Vodafone Idea Ltd. (3.05, -10.29%) and Union Bank of India (43.30, -7.38%).
Crowd Puller Stocks
22 stocks in BSE 500 are trading on high volumes today.
Top high volume gainers on BSE included Hathway Cable & Datacom Ltd. (23.10, 20.00%), TV18 Broadcast Ltd. (28.75, 14.77%) and La Opala RG Ltd. (213.25, 10.35%).
Top high volume losers on BSE were Bharti Infratel Ltd. (208.40, -11.32%), Sundram Fasteners Ltd. (447.70, -2.46%) and Finolex Cables Ltd. (362.90, -2.18%).
Solar Industries India Ltd. (1200.00, 3.00%) was trading at 18.1 times of weekly average. JSW Energy Ltd. (65.75, 4.12%) and VST Industries Ltd. (4321.05, -0.33%) were trading with volumes 12.8 and 6.3 times weekly average respectively on BSE at the time of posting this article.
BSE 500: highs, lows and moving averages
17 stocks overperformed with 52 week highs, while 39 stocks hit their 52 week lows.
Stocks touching their year highs included - Abbott India Ltd. (15632.00, 6.70%), Aegis Logistics Ltd. (256.00, 1.25%) and Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Ltd. (1775.00, 3.50%).
Stocks making new 52 weeks lows included - Allahabad Bank (14.00, -4.44%) and Andhra Bank (14.85, -1.98%).
7 stocks climbed above their 200 day SMA including Hathway Cable & Datacom Ltd. (23.10, 20.00%) and Meghmani Organics Ltd. (58.00, 4.04%). 28 stocks slipped below their 200 SMA including NMDC Ltd. (99.80, -6.07%) and BEML Ltd. (872.00, -5.24%).